Thursday, 23 October 2008

Mud sticks over 'dummy run'

At scooterhite.co.nz we do not condone illegal activities, especially when it comes to the use of vehicles...but, we found the following story in today's newspaper amusing:

The Dominion Post
23 October 2008

Trying to outrun police on a pint-sized motor scooter was not the brightest move Glenn Dodd has made.

Getting stuck in a muddy ditch while trying to make a spectacular getaway was worse. But finding out he was not drunk and had no reason to run from police in the first place really capped off a bad night for the 43-year-old Napier father-of-three.

Dodd set off from home at 1am on Saturday to buy bread for breakfast when police spotted him cruising along Prebensen Drive on his Suzuki scooter. He drew their attention because he had covered his licence plate in case a speed camera clocked him speeding - he reckons he can squeeze 100kmh out of its 125cc engine at a push.

Police turned on their flashing lights, then their siren, but Dodd did not stop. "I was panicking so much I didn't know what to do. I think they call it the flight instinct. "To be honest I have no idea why I did what I did. It was completely stupid and quite out of character," Dodd, a mechanic, said.

He veered off the road into a shallow ditch with the intention of jumping out the other side and making "a spectacular getaway". But after splashing through a puddle, the wheels failed to gain traction leaving a frustrated Dodd struggling to stay upright.

He is still at a loss to explain why he behaved the way he did. "I thought there was a chance I'd be over the [breath alcohol] limit. It was the first night in ages that my partner and I had been out. "When we got home I found out we didn't have bread for bacon and eggs the next morning. We were looking forward to a nice breakfast ... so I went into town. It was a really dumb thing to do," he said.

He passed the breath test and his scooter was registered and warranted.

He appeared in Napier District Court yesterday and pleaded guilty to failing to stop and resisting arrest. He was fined $400 and ordered to pay $260 court costs.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4736361a11.html